The GPS watch is a great addition to any fitness regime. You can track your progress and see how you are doing. It also has a lot of other features such as tracking the number of steps you take, the distance traveled and calories burned. It can also provide insights on your sleep quality and heart rate.
The smartwatch is an amazing device that allows for constant connectivity with the world around us, but what if we want to be disconnected?
The best open water swimming gps watch will provide all the necessary information you need without having to be connected to the internet or your phone.
It will use GPS satellites and cellular signals in order to find information about latitude, longitude and elevation, which is very useful when you’re in remote areas where there may not be reception or Wi-Fi connection.
How to Find the Best open water swimming gps watch
With the wide range of features and styles available, it can be difficult to choose a GPS watch. The best way to find the perfect watch is to take into account what you need it for.
Activity Tracking and Analysis
Activity tracking and analysis is the monitoring and logging of an individual’s physical activity.
It is a new trend in health and fitness that may allow for a more personalized approach to exercise. These wearable devices offer a way to monitor how many steps a day a person takes, tracks their sleep patterns, or even how many calories they have burned during the day.
Activity tracking is becoming increasingly popular with companies such as Fitbit, Jawbone, Nike+ Fuelband, and Garmin.
However, a modern GPS watch should have activity tracking and analysis feature.
Maps and Navigation
While GPS watches can tell you your current location, some watches also provide maps and navigation apps to help you get there.
Maps and navigation is an invaluable tool that allows you to plan out your next trip, especially when you are hiking or biking in unknown places. The best GPS watches for navigation are those that use built-in maps.
This ensures that you will always have the latest and most accurate maps on your GPS watch so you can navigate in the most effective way.
Waterproofing Some watches do not come with a water-resistant design. A water-resistant GPS watch can be useful if you are going swimming, canoeing, surfing, or scuba diving. GPS watches for running, hiking, and cycling should be waterproof because they are typically used in outdoor activities.
If you are planning on doing some sports or just walking around the city at a park, this is the best feature to look for.
The weather conditions can be unpredictable, and the best GPS watch could help you find your way to safety.
We all know that it is important to stay safe and dry when we’re out and about. So how do we know when it’s time to head indoors?
Weather forecasting has never been easier with the help of GPS watches. These devices provide accurate location data, speed, elevation, and GPS coordinates in mere seconds. They also provide accurate forecasts for the next 2-3 days. This way people always know what to expect before they go outside.
So, a good open water swimming gps watch should forecast weather.
Weather and Fitness Monitoring
The weather is an essential part of a person’s health. When it’s rainy, cold, or hot outside, our energy levels are affected.
A GPS watch can be used to monitor changes in the weather and adjust accordingly.
Heart Rate and Sleep
Healthy sleep patterns can make a significant difference in how you feel on a daily basis.
In fact, the American Heart Association recommends that adults sleep 7 hours each night to optimize heart health.
However, if you struggle with insomnia, the weather, or another condition, you might need a wearable device to help you sleep.
GPS and Multi-GNSS Support
GPS watches are designed to display satellite images and map details for your location. However, some watches have the ability to track and analyze satellite data from different GPS systems such as GLONASS, GALILEO, and BeiDou. This allows for better accuracy when navigating around large areas, especially in mountainous regions.
The best GPS watches with multi-GNSS support allow you to use all of these satellites at the same time.
A good GPS watch should allow you to navigate by voice rather than typing in coordinates into a smartphone or tablet. This is because a GPS watch has a small touchscreen that you can use to control it. It is not as effective to type in navigation instructions when your wrist is occupied with something else. When you use your voice, it means that you can take your hands off the steering wheel and focus on the road.
Another feature that is becoming increasingly popular is Bluetooth support.
Bluetooth allows a watch to communicate wirelessly with another device, such as a smartphone, which makes pairing simple.
GPS watches with Bluetooth support are great because they can easily connect with smartphones to share their location and time.
Design The design of a GPS watch is also important to consider.
Design The design of a GPS watch is also important to consider.
Most GPS watches are small enough to fit in your pocket. The design should be lightweight and easy to wear on your wrist without the need for an armband.
Battery life is an essential consideration when buying a GPS watch. Many of these devices have rechargeable batteries that will keep you going for weeks on end. However, a GPS watch should have a battery that will last you while you are traveling and running outside.
Memory and Storage
Memory and storage are important features to look for in a GPS watch. You should know how much memory the device has so that you will not have to buy a new one in the future.
Some watches can store maps for offline navigation. The amount of storage space available is another consideration. A watch that has a small memory will run out of space quicker than one with a larger capacity.
Display Size and Quality
Display Technology Another feature to consider when choosing a GPS watch is display technology. When deciding on what size display to choose, be sure to look at the type of information that you want to see on the device. Large screens will show large amounts of data.
However, if you only want to see the time, a smaller screen is enough. Comfort and Design Some GPS watches come with fitness bands, whereas others are designed to look like traditional watches. It is important to consider the style of the watch before having one.
There are other features that are beneficial to consider when purchasing a GPS watch. These include:
- Wireless charging Waterproofing Multi-sports mode Pedometer GPS Music player
- Alarm clock
- Smartphone notification
- Heart rate monitor
- Temperature sensor Compatibility
- A good GPS watch should be compatible with all smartphones and tablets.
- If you have multiple devices such as an iPhone and Android smartphone, it is important to know which one your GPS watch will work with.
10 Best open water swimming gps watch
The more you know about your body, the more efficiently you can work on improving it. GPS watches are a crucial component of this process. We have compiled a list of the best open water swimming gps watch for activities such as running, cycling, hiking, and more to help you find one that suits your needs best.
1. Garmin Swim 2, GPS Swimming Smartwatch for Pool and Open Water, Underwater Heart Rate, Records Distance, Pace, Stroke Count and Type, White
- GPS swimming smartwatch for the pool and open water
- Monitors underwater estimated wrist-based heart rate during swim activities
- Pool swim mode: records distance, pace, stroke count, stroke type and SWOLF (gauges swimming efficiency)
- Open-water swim mode: uses built-in GPS for swims in lakes, oceans or rivers; records distance, pace, stroke count, SWOLF, stroke rate and stroke distance
- Offers advanced features for staying on pace, logging drills and more
- Includes free online analysis, custom workout creation, storage and sharing on Garmin Connect online community
- Connected features (paired with a compatible smartphone) include smart notifications and automatic uploads to our Garmin Connect online community
- Battery life: up to 7 days in smartwatch mode, 13 hours in GPS and optical heart rate (ohr) mode and 72 hours in pool and ohr mode
2. Fitbit Inspire 2 Health & Fitness Tracker with a Free 1-Year Fitbit Premium Trial, 24/7 Heart Rate, Black/Black, One Size (S & L Bands Included)
- Earn Active Zone Minutes as you progress toward your weekly 150 minutes of heart-pumping activity and use 20 plus exercise modes to track goals like distance, calories burned and more.Operating temperature: 14° to 113°F
- Track all-day activity: your steps, distance, hourly activity and calories burned.Maximum operating altitude: 28,000 ft
- Use 24×7 heart rate to track resting heart rate & better measure calorie burn
- Enjoy 10 days of battery life for daily progress without constant charging. Varies with use and other factors. Track your time in light, deep and REM sleep, then get a Sleep Score to better understand your sleep quality each night.Stay inspired from the shower to the pool with this swimproof tracker (water resistant to 50 meters) and motivated by connecting with friends, competing in challenges, earning badges and celebrating goal milestones.
3. Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate, Music, Alexa Built-In, Sleep and Swim Tracking, Black/Carbon, One Size (S and L Bands
- Use amazon Alexa built in to get quick news and information, check the weather, set timers and alarms, control your smart home devices and more all through the sound of your voice (third party app may be required; amazon Alexa not available in all countries)
- Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your sleep quality each night; also track your time in light, deep and REM sleep stages and get personal insights
- Control your Spotify app, download Pandora stations and add Deezer playlists, plus store and play 300 plus songs on your wrist (subscription required; Pandora is us only)
- With a larger display and an always on option, your information’s always a quick glance away (always on display requires more frequent charging)
- Track heart rate 24×7, steps, distance, calories burned, hourly activity, active minutes and floors climbed. Syncing range – up to 6.1 meters
- Works around the clock with 6 plus day battery life (varies with use and other factors)
- Get a call, text, calendar and smartphone app notifications when your phone is nearby; plus send quick replies and a voice replies on android only. Works with Bluetooth headphones & 200 plus leading iOS and Android devices.
4. Amazfit Bip U Pro Smart Watch with Alexa Built-in for Men Women, GPS Fitness Tracker with 60+ Sport Modes, Blood Oxygen Heart Rate Sleep Monitor, 5
- AMAZON ALEXA & GPS BUILT-IN: Use Amazon Alexa built in to ask questions, set alarms, check the weather, control your smart home devices, and more. And get precise tracking on your distance, daily step count and calories burne thanks to integrated GPS and GLONASS.
- SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: Amazfit Bip U Pro only weigh about 31 grams. An ultra-light design you can barely feel when striving for peak performance.
- LONG 9-DAY BATTERY LIFE: When fully-charged, you can relax and enjoy more than a full week of travel or work without worrying about chargers.
- MORE HEALTH TRACKING METRICS: The Amazfit Bip U Pro fitness smartwatch precise optical monitoring allows you to accurately track heart rate, blood oxygen levels, stress levels, breathing, quality of sleep, and sleeping patterns.
- SMART NOTIFICATIONS: Get an intelligent little pal to remind you of the incoming calls, text messages, apps, and calendars, alarm clock, weather forecast, and smartphone music and camera control.
5. Fitbit Versa 3 Health & Fitness Smartwatch with GPS, 24/7 Heart Rate, Alexa Built-in, 6+ Days Battery, Black/Black, One Size (S & L Bands Included)
- Run, bike, hike and more phone-free and see your real-time pace & distance with built-in GPS. Then check out your workout intensity map in the Fitbit app
- Active Zone Minutes uses your resting heart rate to gauge exercise effort and gives you a buzz when you step up the intensity so you can make the most of your workouts.Maximum operating altitude: 28,000 ft
- Better track heart rate 24×7 with PurePulse 2.0, Fitbit’s enhanced heart rate technology. Operating temperature: -4° to 140° F
- See your nightly blood oxygen levels at a glance with our collection of SpO2 clock faces. Then use the Fitbit app to track your trends over time in the Health Metrics dashboard to see when there may be indications of important changes in your wellness
- Use Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa Built-in to get quick news, set bedtime reminders and alarms, control your smart home devices and more just by speaking to your watch
- Use the built-in mic and speaker to take Bluetooth calls hands-free, send callers to voicemail and adjust volume (Available when phone is nearby. Requires more frequent charging)
- Store and play music & podcasts on Deezer or Pandora, plus control Spotify all from your wrist (Subscriptions required for use of music services; not available in all countries)
6. Garmin 010-01769-01 Vivoactive 3, GPS Smartwatch with Contactless Payments and Built-In Sports Apps, Black with Silver Hardware
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution lets you pay for purchases with your watch (available for supported cards from participating banks)
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, Live Track and more when paired with a compatible smartphone
- Battery life: Up to 7 days in smartwatch mode; 13 hours in GPS mode. Display size: 1.2 inch diameter
7. Garmin 010-02064-00 Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS, Features Glonass and Galileo, Heart Rate Monitoring and 3-Axis Compass, Graphite
- Rugged GPS watch built to withstand the toughest environments
- Constructed to U.S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- Built in 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter, plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) support helps track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Monitor your estimated heart rate, activity and stress; Train with preloaded activity profiles. Strap material: Silicone
- Stay connected with smart notifications (with a compatible smartphone) and automatic data uploads to the Garmin connect online fitness community
- Use the trackback feature to navigate the same route back to your starting point; Use the Garmin explore website and app to plan your trips in advance
- Battery life: Up to 14 days in smartwatch mode, up to 16 hours in GPS mode, up to 40 hours in Ultratrac battery saver mode
8. Timex Unisex TW5M11800 Ironman GPS Black/Gray Silicone Strap Watch
- Easy to Use / Simple Interface
- 12 Hour GPS Battery Life
- Universal micro USB Charging and Data Transfer
- Lightweight / Slim Design
- Quick GPS Fix
9. New Wave Swim Buoy – Swim Safety Float and Drybag for Open Water Swimmers Triathletes Kayakers Snorkelers, Open Water Swim Buoy Float for Safer Swi
- Visibility in Open Water. The brightly-colored Swim Buoy is a swimming safety float that exceptionally visible to boaters, jet skis, paddlers, and surfers. Improve your visibility to avoid getting decapitated by a jet ski or a speed boat. Swimmers in black wetsuits are virtually invisible in the open water – New Wave Swim Buoy will display your prominently in the murky waters of the Loch Ness Lake – even the Loch Ness Monster will not confuse you for a tasty harbor seal.
- Safe Place to Float and Rest. Because of the natural buoyancy, the New Wave swimming safety float can be used as a flotation device. You have reassurance that in case you cramp up or simply need rest, you are able to grab the float.
- Very light to bring with you on a paddleboard or kayak trip. While the New Wave Swim Buoy does not replace personal floatation device (PFD) or a swim life vest, widely used by kayakers and standup paddle boarders (SUP’s), the New Wave Swim Buoy is very lightweight (only 10 oz) to bring along for a refreshing swim workout in the open water. Add a bike blinker inside the float and your aqua-visibility quadruples or maybe even quintuples.
- Storage of Personal Items. The New Wave Swim Buoy is useful in point to point swims. Fastened to your waist by a belt with a tether line, the New Wave Swim Buoy has a storage compartment that is separate from the Inflatable Air Chamber. What do our athletes put in the buoy? Sunglasses, sunscreen, body glide, extra cap and goggles, running shoes, socks and clothes, diving mask, snorkel, camera, water shoes. What would you take with you on a water-journey?
- Improved Monitoring of Athletes. If you want to keep an eye on your swim buddies or make sure that other swimmers are still in the race, spectators, officials, and lifeguards alike will appreciate the ability to see the swimmers from afar with the New Wave swimming safety float. If you put your cell phone in a waterproof phone pouch, you can have your phone sharing your GPS location too to track exactly how far you swam AND to broadcast your location in the water.
10. Timex Men’s T5E901 Ironman Classic 30 Gray/Black Resin Strap Watch
- Adjustable black 16 millimeter resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph with 30-lap memory; 24-hour countdown timer. On-screen prompts make setting easy forward or backward setting
- 3 daily, weekday or weekend alarms; 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; Day, date and month calendar
- Gray and black 38 millimeter resin case with acrylic lens; Gray digital display; Indiglo light-up watch dial
- Water resistant to 100 meters (330 feet): In general, suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not diving
You can use your smartwatch to track your exercise, record your workouts, and track how many steps you’ve taken during your day. The Apple Watch comes with built-in GPS tracking that can automatically alert you to any potential issues, such as an upcoming workout.
You can even send texts and calls directly from your watch to the ones on your phone if you’re using the watch. Your activity can be tracked by the watch’s accelerometer or heart rate monitor.
The Apple Watch is compatible with iPhones and can act as a companion app for both iOS and Android phones. You can easily track your heart rate and monitor your sleep with the Apple Watch Series 3, and it will let you know if you have a heart attack if it detects anything abnormal.
It also tracks your activity level and your pace and distance traveled each day. The watch will also give you reminders and notifications to help you get moving, stay active, and eat healthily. As far as smartwatches go, the Apple Watch Series 3 is one of the best options.
The conclusion to choose the open water swimming gps watch for your needs is not an easy task. But, we hope this article will help you make a smarter decision and find the best one for you and your family.