Riding a motorcycle never seemed so easy as it does with a GPS device. The best handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding is one that takes care of the ride and makes navigation easier.
Motorcycle GPS devices are designed to help bikers navigate through traffic easily, provide warnings of upcoming hazards, and guide bikers to their destinations.
They also help riders navigate through traffic-heavy urban areas, avoid accidents and know the safest routes to take.
Along with, a motorcycle GPS tracker is a device that is used to track the location of a motorcycle in real time.
Tracker devices are usually installed on motorcycles for security or safety reasons. They are helpful because they can send alerts when the user exceeds the speed limit or if the bike is involved in an accident.
The use of GPS tracking devices also helps find stolen vehicles since they can provide location information to police, insurance companies, and vehicle recovery professionals.
What to Consider When Selecting the Best handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding
Choosing the best motorcycle GPS is a crucial decision. There are hundreds of models available in the market, and it is hard to find the one that fits your requirements exactly. In this article, we will discuss some factors you need to consider before buying a the Best handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding.
There are various factors to take into consideration when selecting a GPS for motorcycles. Some of the factors are explained here below:
Route Planning and Mapping
Motorcycle GPS devices are mainly designed to provide navigation and routing information to the rider of a motorcycle on roads or paths.
It offers different features which offer the same goal of getting riders from point A to point B. To get a better understanding of how it all works, we will take a closer look at the route planning and mapping system.
The user can input their destination address or coordinates into the device. Motorcycle GPS will then use its internal database of maps and routes to determine the quickest way that is available given time and traffic conditions.
All of these devices use a mapping system that has been preloaded with maps and routes for the area in which the motorcycle will operate.
Voice navigation is a great specification of a Motorcycle GPS that helps motorcyclists find their way and avoid any obstacles and accidents. It is the future of navigation and it has been in existence for years.
Some voice navigation systems, like Waze, offer motorcycle-specific routing to help riders avoid accidents and get to the destination quicker. Motorcycle GPS devices like Garmin offer turn-by-turn directions to riders who might not be too familiar with an area.
A motorcycle GPS works on a battery and needs to be recharged. There are different types of power sources for a motorcycle GPS, the most prevalent being a rechargeable lithium ion battery which can be plugged in using its USB cable or connected to an external charger.
Usually, the motorcycle GPS devices are powered by their own built-in batteries which can typically lasting weeks or months on one charge, are not only helpful while on highways but also while cruising through town because they can provide the individual with information on how many miles are left before their destination.
Sensors are mechanical, electrical, or chemical devices that detect and respond to changes in the environment. In general, the most important specification for a sensor is its sensitivity. The sensitivity tells you how reliably it can detect signals from the environment.
In the case of Motorcycle GPS devices, it is important for them to have a high sensitivity in order to be able to work properly. Without high enough accuracy, the GPS device will not be able to find your position on a map accurately enough.
Device Construction and Drop (and Crash!) Protection
Standard motorcycle GPS devices are made with drop protection to keep the device safe from falls. A motorcycle GPS device’s construction is determined by the type of material it is made of, which will play a role in the level of protection that it offers. A high-quality device will be made of high-quality materials that are durable and strong.
The material that a motorcycle GPS device is made out of will determine how well it will fare after a fall or jump onto concrete. The more durable and stronger the material, the more protection that it will offer against drops and crashes. Devices with lower quality materials might need to be replaced or repaired after drops or crashes whereas devices with higher quality materials don’t have to worry about this as much because they can withstand drops and crashes without sustaining too much damage.
Standard Weather Protection System
There are a lot of GPS devices on the market that offer weather protection, but not all of them offer the same level of protection.
Some offer basic protection against light rain and fog, while others have been tested to withstand heavy rainfall, high winds and even snow. The best system should have a strong IPX-8 waterproof rating which will provide full-fledged protection against everything from heavy rain to raging storms.
The IPX-8 waterproof rating is an international standard for water resistance that has been adopted by many manufacturers and is one of the most important considerations when choosing a GPS device for motorcycle touring.
Memory system of an standard Motorcycle GPS
The memory system of an standard Motorcycle GPS is split into three main parts:
-The flash memory or internal storage is the place where the user interface and the maps are stored.
-The RAM memory where all program data is stored for immediate manipulation by CPU.
-The ROM which stores the operating system software and sometimes device drivers.
With the help of a motorcycle GPS, one can navigate the routes and remember the way back.
Generally speaking, a motorcycle GPS is a very useful device for those who have difficulty remembering the way back home or have difficulty navigating themselves home without help from a map or GPS system.
Smartphone Connectivity system of a standard Motorcycle GPS
The best motorcycle GPS should also offer custom settings and be compatible with your phone and other devices, such as Bluetooth speakers or intercoms, so you can share your location with other riders in close proximity.
The smartphone can be connected to the motorcycle GPS via Bluetooth for navigation purposes. This way the rider doesn’t have to stop their bike every time they want to step away from it and look at a map on their phone.
The rider just needs to navigate using the map on their phone and then reconnects when they get back on their bike again.
The standard voice navigation of motorcycle GPS is quite straightforward. The system has a simple menu with the following options: home, locate, destination, point of interest and view map.
There is also a basic function that can be used to check on the distance and time remaining to the destination.
The first option is for going back to your home location.
The second one locates a new destination on the map by typing in the name or address of your choice.
This will open up a detailed map as well as some points of interest within proximity to your desired location which you can choose from as well as your desired route type which you want it to take you there by either shortest time or shortest distance.
The third option takes you back to where you came from (previous location on the site).
Motorcycle GPS are in high demand. Many people are using them to make the process of navigation easier. With this new trend, many companies have tried to bring innovative technologies in this field.
For example, mobile phone manufacturers like HTC or Samsung have launched their own GPS devices for motorcycle riders. But there is another way of using the phone with a Bluetooth headset which has become an increasingly popular choice among motorcycle riders.
A motorcycle headset is more than just a Bluetooth device that lets you talk on your phone hands free while riding your bike.
It also pairs with your GPS navigation system, allowing you to listen to turn-by-turn directions while keeping both of your hands on the handlebars and eyes on the road ahead. The thing about pairing your smartphone with a Bluetooth headset is that it can be less distracting.
A touchscreen system of a standard Motorcycle GPS is a new and amazing technological advancement. These products can be used by motorcycle drivers who are wearing gloves, and also is very user-friendly.
A standard Motorcycle GPS is responsive enough to operate with gloves on which means you don’t have to take off your gloves every time you want to make an adjustment or change routes.
Best handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding
We have created a list here of the handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding.
1. Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
- Rugged handheld navigator with preloaded worldwide basemap and 2.2 inch monochrome display
- WAAS enabled GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support for fast positioning and a reliable signal
- Waterproof to IPX7 standards for protection against splashes, rain, etc.
- Support for paperless geocaching and Garmin spine mounting accessories. Power with two AA batteries for up to 20 hours of use (best with Polaroid AA batteries)
- See high and low elevation points or store waypoints along a track (start, finish and high/low altitude) to estimate time and distance between points
2. Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio – Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather
- 2-WAY RADIOS – These walkie-talkies feature 50 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels, along with channel scan to check for activity. The JIS4 Waterproof Protection prevents splashing water from having any harmful effect on it (splash resistant).
- 36-MILE RANGE – Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction. Easy Voice and Sound Activation Transmission (eVOX) with 9 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation.
- 142 CTCSS/DCS PRIVACY CODES – The privacy codes give you up to 3,124 channel options to block other conversations.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT – NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Radios (x2), rechargeable battery packs (x2), boom mic headsets (x2), belt clips (x2), 120V dual desktop charger, AC adapter, DC adapter, and an owner’s manual.
3. Garmin zūmo XT, All-Terrain Motorcycle GPS Navigation Device, 5.5-inch Ultrabright and Rain-Resistant Display
- 5.5” ultrabright, glove-friendly display with crisp HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode; rain-resistant and built rugged (passed the military standard 810 drop test)
- Get spoken turn-by-turn directions through your connected helmet or headset plus preloaded off-road topographic maps with public land boundaries, 4×4 roads and more
- Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription
- Garmin Adventurous Routing options find curvy or hilly roads for a fun and exciting riding experience
- Easily manage and review routes, tracks and waypoints across your navigator, smartphone and computer using Garmin Explore
- Record your route by using the track recorder, and save or share it for future adventures
- Access live traffic and weather, share routes with other riders, and get phone notifications via the Garmin Drive app
- Stream music from your smartphone through the zūmo XT navigator, or play MP3 files stored on your zūmo
- Included Components: Zumo Xt; Motorcycle Mount And Hardware; Motorcycle Power Cable; Usb Cable; Documention
4. GoPro HERO3+ Silver Edition (Renewed)
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p Recording at 60 fps, HD 1280 x 720p Recording at 120 fps
- Capture up to 10MP Photos at 10 fps, Ultra Wide Angle Glass Lens
- Built-In Wi-Fi & GoPro App Ready, Compatible with Optional Wi-Fi Remote
- Provides Enhanced Low-Light Performance, HERO3+ Is 15% Smaller Than HERO3, Battery Lasts 30% Longer Than HERO3
5. MoniMoto 7 – Smart Motorcycle GPS Tracker and Alarm – Suitable for Scooters, Quad Bike ATVs, Snowmobiles – DIY Installation, No Wiring Required
- Quick setup – Install it yourself in 10 minutes. Batteries and SIM card included. First 2 months of GSM service is free. Later $3.5/month.
- No wiring – It will never discharge your bike’s battery, no installation cost. No wires – difficult to find for thieves.
- Running on two single-use, long-life batteries, a Monimoto device is energy efficient. Its batteries can last up to 12 months.
- Phone-call alert – Calls your phone in less than 1 minute if movement is detected. GPS location tracking via mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Monimoto comes with the embedded eSIM card that covers most parts of the World, where 2G and 4G networks are available. It works with at least two different GSM service providers in most of the countries and with the help of Monimoto algorithm always chooses the strongest signal in the area.
6. Roam Universal Bike Phone Mount for Motorcycle – Bike Handlebars, Adjustable, Fits All iPhone’s, 12, 11, X, iPhone 8, 8 Plus, All Samsung Galaxy Ph
- UNIVERSAL FOR ALL PHONES: This universal bike phone mount will securely fit almost any cell phone up to 3.5 inches wide! Holds iPhone 12, 11, X, iPhone XR, iPhone 8 | 8Plus, iPhone 7 | 7 Plus. Samsung Galaxy S7 | Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S9, OnePlus 3, HTC 11. Refer to SIZING GUIDE in the description for more.
- HANDLEBAR COMPATIBILITY: Size is adjustable to fit handlebar sizes from 7/8” – 1-1/4” in diameter for your bicycle or motorcycle. Refer to SIZING GUIDE in the description. *NOTE: will not fit super sport bikes (crotch rockets) clip-on style handlebars.
- SECURE GRIP & LARGEST CLAMP: Using two points of contact, The Co-Pilot will securely mount your device to your handlebars using a premium hard plastic grip with a silicone net, securing each corner of your device tightly to the mount! Also the Co-Pilot has the largest handle bar clamp on the market and can fit any size handlebar!
- NICE & STURDY: The premium hard plastic material will keep from breaking. The silicone net, unlike rubber, is extremely strong and durable. The material stretches up to 4 times itself, and will secure your phone on the wildest of adventures.
- We stand (and ride) behind our products: We believe in providing quality and value–for life. That’s why you’re covered by our Lifetime of Quality policy.
7. Solar Power Bank, Qi Portable Charger 10,000mAh External Battery Pack Type C Input Port Dual Flashlight, Compass, Solar Panel Charging (Orange)
- Qi Wireless & Solar Power：10,000mAh wireless power bank with solar. Not just wireless power bank but wireless charger as well compatible with iPhone XR/ XR MAX/ XS/ X/ 8/ 8plus, Samsung Galaxy S9/S9plus S8/S8plus and all qi-enabled mobile devices.
- Friendly Reminder on Solar：kindly know that solar charging is an additional feature, Taken the small panel size, large capacity and uncontrollable sunlight intensity into consideration, the solar charging option works as a backup solution while other sources of power is unavailable. Make sure the power bank is fully charged before your trips.
- Extensive Tested Charging Times：The charging times of the solar phone charger have been extensively tested. Itself can be fully recharged around 6hours with 5V/2A adapter, It can charge iphone7plus up to 2.2times, iPhone X up to 2.3times, iphone8 up to 3.5times.
- Sturdy Durable and Compact Size：the portable charger is made of premium ABS materials and lithium polymer battery, highly sturdy and durable. Its equipped with two USB, type C, dual flashlights and a compass kit. Light weight and compact size.
- Dual Flashlight & Compass Kit：The solar phone charger is built with dual bright flashlight, and comes with a portable compass kit, a handy tool for outdoor activities, like camping, cycling, fishing, traveling, hiking and beaches.
8. Tracki (2021) Mini Real time GPS Tracker Magnetic. Full USA &Worldwide Coverage. for Vehicles, Car, Kids, Elderly, Child, Dogs & Motorcycles. Small
- Unlimited distance real time tracking. Monthly fee is required. Full USA & all countries worldwide coverage. International SIM card included. We are USA based company focused in GPS tracking. Our competition are just white label resellers. Our client is Vodafone a top cellular company. Track Vehicles, Cars, trucks, Children, dogs, elderly, motorcycle, ATV, boat, equipment, tools, assets, valuables. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required or as low as 9.95USD (more details in the big paragraph)
- Tracki is super small (1.75×1.5×0.55in) and super light (1.26 oz). Comes with embedded built in SIM card included and works worldwide. Included attachments: Strong magnet, Dog collar water resistant silicone cover, Belt clip, Key-chain, lanyard. 5 years history. We believe customer is King and provide live 7 days a week phone advisors.
- Rechargeable battery life is up to 5 days (the more it moves the lesser the days) tracking real time every 1-5 minutes. If real time tracking is not needed, battery lasts 30-75 days tracking 1-3 times per day (using battery save mode). Optional accessory (not included ASIN B07YVNV82V) comes with 6 times longer life 3,500mAh battery + magnetic waterproof box, extends battery life to 2 weeks at 1 min update and up to 10 months tracking once a day
- Works with GPS satellites when outdoors as primary tracking technology and when indoors Wi-Fi as a secondary backup tracking. Tracki listens to nearby Wi-Fi routers MAC ID, matching IDs to Wi-Fi database for accurate location when GPS is not available. See the tracking live on the map including compatible with Google Street view. Get real-time alerts when the tracker crosses a Geo-fence zone you set. Receive SOS, low battery, speeding, start moving alerts via App notification, SMS or email
- Lifetime warranty including lost or damaged device. Tracki is cutting-edge & easy to set up working out-of-the-box within a few minutes. Tracki comes included with highly rated smart phone Apps compatible with: Android, iOS and all Internet browsers. Monthly fee of 9.95USD-19.95USD is required.
9. Enduro Engineering Side Load Route Sheet Holder Black Dual Sport 14-053
- Improved design
- Large aluminum knobs for easier use
- Includes mounting hardware
10. Insta360 ONE X2 360 Degree Waterproof Action Camera, 5.7K 360, Stabilization, Touch Screen, AI Editing, Live Streaming, Webcam, Voice Control
- The Pocket Camera Crew: With just one device, shoot first in every direction with super 5.7K 360 capture and then choose your favorite angle later. Or pick just one lens with Steady Cam mode for ultra-stable wide angle footage.
- FlowState Stabilization: Better-than-ever stabilization and horizon leveling algorithms keep your shots steady—no gimbal needed.
- Invisible Selfie Stick: Shoot with the Invisible Selfie Stick and then watch it disappear in your edit. Capture easy drone-like angles and third-person perspectives with the flick of a wrist.
- IPX8 Waterproof: Insta360 ONE X2 is waterproof to 10 meters (33ft). Take it out in a rainstorm or surfing without a case.
- In the Box: 1x Insta360 ONE X2, 1x Charge Cable, 1x Battery, 1x Protective Pouch and 1x User Guide.
How does a motorcycle GPS work?
A motorcycle GPS is a small GPS device that can be mounted on the handlebars of a motorcycle. The GPS device provides information to the rider in order to help them navigate to their destination.
There are several different types of motorcycle GPS devices available on the market today. Some models mount directly to the handlebars, while others mount below or beside them. They can also be installed on motorcycles with custom handlebar setups for a more personalized look.
Can I use my smartphone instead of a motorcycle GPS?
No, you can’t use your smartphone.
Motorcycle GPSs are specially designed for navigating the road, while smartphones are not. For example, smart phones have some disadvantages that motorcycle GPSs don’t have. For one, the battery life of the phone will be drained quickly and it’s not as easy to read in bright daylight or at night.
Do motorcycles have tracking devices?
There are many motorcycle tracking devices available on the market. These devices allow riders to know where their motorcycles are at all times. The devices also provide real-time updates of the motorcycle’s location, speed, and direction.
handheld gps for motorcycle adventure riding have become popular among riders because they provide very detailed information about their location while also providing accurate directions.
These devices are available in a variety of form factors and can be installed on various types of motorcycles. Some of these devices are touchscreen-based while others are voice-activated or use buttons for operation.
So, you should choose according to your need and budget, as there are various price ranges in the market.