It’s never been easier to track the location of your car. Now there are numerous GPS tracker for cars available on the market. You can find one that best fits your need by looking at what to look for when buying one.
The best GPS tracker will have voice activation so you don’t have to take it out of your pocket, and it will also support live tracking so you can follow its location in real time. The battery life is also important – if you want it to last, get one that lasts more than a day without charging.
This article is a guide to help you choose the gps tracker for commercial vehicles, which includes a review of some popular trackers and helpful buying tips.
We have selected these devices based on durability, ease of use and battery life. Here we go.
What is a GPS Tracker and How Does it Work?
A GPS tracker is a device that is used to track the location of an object. The most common use for it is to locate a car, but it can also be used for things like tracking your child’s school bus or an elderly person who may wander off.
GPS trackers are able to pinpoint the location of your object by using satellite triangulation. They use their own built-in antenna and data service providers in order to get the necessary information from space that they need. This information then gets transmitted back down to their on-board computer where they are able to show you the location of your tracked object.
How to Choose the Best gps tracker for commercial vehicles
A GPS tracker can be differentiated by the level of accuracy required for its use, as well as by its size, power, and features.
Commercial grade GPS trackers are typically used in businesses to track larger vehicles or delivery trucks. Small business grade GPS trackers are typically less expensive and are widely used in small business to track vehicle fleets with mixed accuracy levels.
So first of all realize your requirements.
Types of GPS tracker
The GPS tracking device is a small device that can be installed on any vehicle. It has the ability to transmit coordinates to the nearest satellite, which will then relay them back to a control center. The control center will then convert the coordinates into location information and send it back to the tracker unit. There are two types of trackers: active and passive trackers
Passive trackers do not have a power source, they rely on an external power source such as a car battery or 12-volt cigarette lighter plug for their power supply. Active trackers have an internal battery that they use for transmitting signals.
Active tracker units can be used in many ways, including for tracking down stolen vehicles as well as locating motorists who may have been involved in accidents.
It is essential for GPS trackers to have a GPS connection. The best options are those that have a connection to the internet so that your location can be monitored through an app on your phone.
Portability is an essential element in the best GPS trackers. The tracker should be lightweight, slim, and easy to carry around. The device should also have a long battery life.
Geofencing is generally used by businesses to track the location of their employees. It also helps them to provide their customers with an accurate estimate of when they will arrive at their destination.
Small businesses can take advantage of geofencing too. They will be able to free up their time by knowing when they should expect a customer. Geofencing provides them with the opportunity to give their clients an accurate estimate on how long it will take for them to arrive at the store or any other location.
So having geofencing feature with the GPS trackers is an useful feature.
The greater the number of locations it can track at any given time, the better.
If your GPS tracker only lasts a day, then it won’t be convenient to use every day, and if you have to charge it regularly, you’ll be spending more time on charging than tracking your car.
The greater the number of activities that the tracker can record and the more accurate the location that is recorded, the better.
The size of the tracker is also important, and there are plenty of GPS trackers available with sizes from small to large.
The level of accuracy in a GPS tracker can vary. This is determined by the device’s level of the signal and how often it updates its location. The better the accuracy, the more precise your location data will be, but it also drains the device’s battery faster.
Durability and construction
GPS trackers come in various materials, some with plastic bodies and metal cases, others with ceramic cases and metal. Some are even waterproof. The best GPS tracker for durability will have a sturdy and watertight body.
The best GPS trackers will be voice-activated, which will mean they are easier to use and don’t require that you take it out of your pocket.
Power consumption — The amount of power that a GPS tracker requires is also an important factor to consider. This can affect the life of the battery, as well as the overall efficiency of the device. So, the more power a tracker requires, the shorter its battery life is likely to be. Features You can find many options when choosing a GPS tracker, ranging from simple to complex.
Some basic features include
- voice activation: to make the tracking experience easier and convenient
- voice notifications: if the tracker is offline, it will make you aware when it becomes active again.
to let you know when the device is about to leave a particular area or when there is activity in an area
- speed alerts: if your car is speeding or not
- lock / unlock: to automatically lock or unlock a vehicle after an agreed-upon period of time has elapsed.
- tracking speed limit: if your car reaches a certain speed, it will alert you so that you can adjust your driving speed accordingly.
- remote lock / unlock: it allows you to remotely lock or unlock your vehicle.
- theft alerts: your car will be tracked as soon as it is taken out of your possession and it will notify you as soon as it is taken back.
- location history: this feature lets you see the locations where your car has been. It is useful for tracking routes.
- speed and distance history: you can get real-time updates when your car is traveling at a particular speed or driving a particular distance.
- mileage history: if you want to track how far your car travels on a particular route or how many miles your car drives in a day.
- geofencing alarm: can be used to alert you if the vehicle enters or leaves a pre-set geographical boundary
GPS is a powerful tool in the world of theft protection. It helps to find a stolen vehicle or a person.
There are two types of GPS trackers that can be used for theft protection:
– Tracking devices that are installed on the car, motorcycle, bike, etc.
– Tracking devices installed on the person’s body
GPS trackers can help you to find your property and reduce the risk of theft.
10 Best gps tracker for commercial vehicles
Here are the top 10 gps tracker for commercial vehicles
1. GPSit Vehicle Asset GPS Tracking Device and Commercial Software for Fleet, Cars, Trucks, Vans – Hard-Wired Tamper Resistant LTE Technology – No
- INCLUDES GPSit SOFTWARE FOR BUSINESS. Since 2004, GPSit has led GPS tracking software solutions mated to reliable technology devices. We provide van, car, and truck operators helpful reports at their fingertips to help with cost and efficiency savings.
- SUPERIOR DATA MAPPING INTERVALS. Near real-time GPS data collection, updated as frequently as every 5 seconds without additional plan fees. You get accurate driving paths, speeds, and stops; for better decisions and alert monitoring.
- STRAIGHTFORWARD HARD-WIRED INSTALLATION. Easy 3-wire installation tucks in a hidden location behind the dashboard. This reduces driver attempts to by-pass or unplug GPS tracking device for unauthorized vehicle usage.
- FULL VERISON SOFTWARE. Includes 1 year subscription, GPSit offers full-features (only $99 for year 2). Other companies offer a base rate and add on fees for better coverage, more frequent data updates, and the most desired features.
- HARDWARE BACK-UPS YOU NEED. GPSit Vehicle Asset Tracking devices include a battery back-up to alert you if disconnected. Also, if a driver’s route goes out of signal coverage, our product stores tracking data and then uploads it when re-connected.
2. Spytec GPS OBD Vehicle Tracker for Fleet Management, Truck GPS, Commercial Drivers, and Real Time Route Management
- Simple Installation – No training needed, just plug in, log on, and activate. The Spytec GPS OBD tracker device plugs into the factory OBD port with no need to charge or mess with any wiring.
- Reliable, Intuitive Tracking – An easy to use mobile app or desktop website and a fleet management vehicle tracking device means you have information at your fingertips. From creating boundaries to getting alerts and notifications on your desktop, tablet, or smartphone.
- Detailed Information – From precise address and weather information to reporting and route history, the Spytec GPS app provides the information you need to optimize routes, increase efficiency, and monitor personnel.
- Unprecedented Speed – Using 4G service and the Spytec GPS platform we deliver incredible speeds to our partners – faster speeds means you get the information you need to help run your business in real time, not hours later when it’s too late.
- No Contracts, No Hidden Fees – The all inclusive $24.95 monthly subscription provides full access to the Spytec GPS platform which gives you a real time GPS tracker, real time alerts, boundary creation, and more – in addition to our 24/7 US based support team. (A subscription is required to use this product)
3. MasTrack – Hardwired Live GPS Vehicle Tracker – Perfect for Any Vehicle, Truck, Fleet or Heavy Machinery – Simple Installation…
- GLOBAL COVERAGE | Real-time GPS updates up to every 1 minute – Global coverage – Required monthly subscription as low as $10.99
- SMART & EASY TRACKING | Simply log into the web portal and view live or historical tracking at any time. Access tracking from Computers, Smartphones, Tablets, or other web enabled devices – There is no limit on how often you can view your trips
- UNLIMITED REPORTING | Includes live map updates with 24/7 unlimited access, unlimited reporting, unlimited alert notifications
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION | Simple 3 wire installation can be installed by an amateur or professional in less than 30 minutes
- PRODUCT FEATURES | Your OBD GPS Tracker is capable of: Speed Alert, Speed Threshold, Harsh Braking, Rapid Acceleration, Geofence, Maintenance Alerts, Alert when being towed and sitting Idle, Ignition Events, Battery Backup, Input and Output Alerts
4. GPS Tracker for Vehicles Vyncs 4G LTE – No Monthly Fee – Real Time, 1 Year Data, OBD Data, SIM – USA-Developed – Car Truck Trip Driver Alert Fleet
- GPS TRACKER FOR VEHICLES. 4G LTE DEVICE. NO MONTHLY FEE, One-time ACTIVATION fee: $39.99 (full refund if returned and account cancelled within 30 days). 1 year Service included. Renewal (USD 78.93) in 2nd year (no activation fee). REAL-TIME TRACKING: USA (AT&T , T-Mobile) and International coverage. SIM card included. Track Cars, Trucks, Fleets, Seniors, Teenagers. Plug into the OBD-II port of vehicle or hide using Vyncs OBD Extension Cable. Real-time whereabouts via iPhone, Android or Web app.
- VYNCS ADVANTAGES. No Battery needed, powered by OBD. Vehicle DTC Codes, Fuel Economy, Fuel Level (if available), True Idling, Engine RPM, Vehicle Speed, Manufacturer Recall, Vehicle Maintenance. World SIM, replacement if Vyncs stops working. Groups Feature that no one else has: Indoor/Outdoor – LOCATE Loved ones’ phones instantly when they’re walking, biking, or on public transit. All they need is the Vyncs app on their Android/iOS phones. Even use it to find your lost or stolen phone.
- REAL TIME LOCATION TRACKING AND TRIPS. Collects data every second, analyzes, and sends update to the server every 3 minutes. 60/30/15 seconds update upgrades available. Unlimited trip history on map. No battery needed! Draws power from OBD-II port. Goes to sleep while ignition-off but wakes up once in every hour to update location. Shared accounts for car tracking device.
- ALL THE DRIVER AND VEHICLE ALERTS YOU NEED. Geofence zones, street address for start/stop points on the map. Driver speeding/braking/rapid acceleration alerts by Push Notification/Email and SMS (upon request), trip history on map. Vehicle OBD diagnostics, fault codes, maintenance, battery voltage, emission test result, vehicle recall, fuel economy and fuel level (if available). Tamper alert once device is plugged back into the OBD port. Optional 24/7 roadside assistance. Renewal notification.
- WHY VYNCS? ULTRA FAST: New 4G LTE Device. HIGHLY RATED: 1800+ great reviews and near 100% 5 star seller feedback. BEST PRICE: Compare 1st year price and price after 1st year. BEST FEATURES. Check Vyncs video on the slider. Has all the features you want plus a lot more. Get VYNCS FLEET for advanced fleet monitoring features with 5+ vehicles. GLOBAL SUPPORT: Supported in 200+ countries. Check Legal Disclaimer section in this page for the list of supported countries.
5. VyncsFleet: GPS Trackers No Monthly Fee, 4G OBD, Real Time Fleet Car/Truck Tracking, Free 1 Year Data Plan, Trips, Vehicle Diagnostics, Driver Safe
- Full service connected car product with Real Time Car GPS tracking, 3 minutes Real-time GPS with 60/30/15 seconds GPS update upgrades available. No battery needed! That means no painful charging and recharging of device. Draws power from OBD-II port. Goes to sleep after car ignition is off but wakes up once in every hour (when the car-ignition is off) to update location in your account and then goes back to sleep again.
- Real-time Geofence zone, vehicle OBD diagnostics, maintenance, recall, and fuel economy and fuel level (if available). Curfew Hours notifications upgrade. Driver speeding/braking/rapid acceleration alerts by Push Notification/Email and SMS (upon request), trip history, driving score.
- 4G wireless connection supported in 220+ countries including all 50 US States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Canada. Contact us for the global model if you plan to use it outside North America. SIM CARD INCLUDED ALONG WITH 1 YEAR DATA PLAN FROM THE DELIVERY DATE. SAME AMOUNT FOR RENEWAL IN THE SECOND YEAR (RENEWAL FEE INCLUDES SERVICE AND DATA PLAN FOR THE SECOND YEAR).
- Fleet dashboard, unlimited number of vehicles per account, street address on trip table, downloadable data in Excel-friendly format, fuel cost tracking, creating custom maintenance tasks, more scalable software and powerful infrastructure for fleets, stop time reporting on the map, true idle time (vehicle not moving but engine running) reporting on the map, multiple sub-fleets with more than one managers and due access control.
6. Trak-4 12v GPS Tracker with Wiring Harness for Tracking Equipment, Vehicles, and Assets
- $6.99 a month (prepaid annual) or $12.99 a month (paid monthly) for hourly pings with options for 10-min and 1-min
- Unlimited cell data | No contract | No activation or cancellation fees | SIM included
- Email & text alerts | Geofencing | Simple to use – sign in & start tracking in minutes
- Computer, Phone, or Tablet | Great for GPS tracking of vehicles, assets, and inventory | Track teens, loved ones, and elderly persons
- Connect to 12 volts on your equipment, trailer, or vehicle for continual trickle charge | High-capacity internal battery
7. Brickhouse Security Spark Nano 7 GPS Tracker with Magnetic Waterproof Weatherproof Case for Car, Truck and Fleet Vehicle Real-Time LTE GPS Tracking
- Smallest GPS Tracker: The compact design of this location and speed tracking tool makes it perfect for attaching to any mobile asset or vehicle. No one has to know it’s there but you!
- Fast 4G Coverage Across North America: Travel across state and country lines without missing important data. The Spark Nano 7 operates on super-fast 4G networks across the US, Canada, and Mexico.
- Magnetic Waterproof Case: Made to specifically house the Spark Nano 7, keeping it securely attached to cars, trucks, RVs, and high-dollar assets, continuing to record through rough conditions.
- View The Trackers Location In Real-Time: Access reporting from anywhere via any web browser for real-time and historical reports of speed, geofencing violations, detailed travel reports, and settings.
- Affordable Subscriptions: 3 Plans to Choose From! Annual / Quarterly / Monthly. As low as $17.99 a month with an Annual subscription. Subscription of $17.99, $24.99 or $29.99 is required! No contracts to sign & hassle-free cancellation.
8. Spy Tec GPS GL300 Real-Time GPS Tracker for Vehicles Cars Trucks Loved Ones Asset Tracker With App & Lifetime Warranty and Weatherproof Magnetic Ca
- Easiest & fastest GPS tracking: Spytec GPS offers the fastest GPS tracking for vehicles, valuables, and equipment using 4G satellite technology. Receive location alerts from the GPS tracker via our iOS/Android apps.
- Easy-to-use software & features: Watch your tracker move on a map, customize alerts and boundaries, see past data, speed, distance, & more.
- Reliable service: With more than a 99.99% uptime and a .256 millisecond processing time, our cloud-based technology gives you the data you want, when you want it.
- Small & versatile: Our mini GPS tracker is 1″ thick with up to 2 weeks’ battery life. Simply set/activate and use as a GPS tracker for trucks, GPS bike tracker, motorcycle tracker, or help teen drivers with this GPS tracker for kids.
- Lifetime warranty & affordable subscription: This device requires a subscription to our easy-to-use software on our mobile and desktop apps. Activate the device, choose your plan, and start tracking with zero contracts or fees. Subscriptions start at $19.95/month annually or $24.95/month, month-to-month. Get free 24/7 support and a lifetime warranty on GPS trackers with an active subscription.
9. Apple AirTag 4 Pack
- Keep track of and find your items alongside friends and devices in the Find My app
- Simple one-tap setup instantly connects AirTag with your iPhone or iPad
- Play a sound on the built-in speaker to help find your things, or just ask Siri for help
- Precision Finding with Ultra Wideband technology leads you right to your nearby AirTag (on select iPhone models)
- Find items further away with the help of hundreds of millions of Apple devices in the Find My network
- Put AirTag into Lost Mode to be automatically notified when it’s detected in the Find My network
- All communication with the Find My network is anonymous and encrypted for privacy, Location data and history are never stored on AirTag
- Replaceable battery lasts over a year
- AirTag is IP67 water and dust resistant
- Make AirTag yours with a range of colorful accessories, sold separately
10. TKSTAR GPS Tracker,GPS Tracker for Vehicles Waterproof Real Time Car GPS Tracker Strong Magnet Tracking Device For Motorcycle Trucks Anti Theft Al
- ✔【 SIM Card Not Included】: Just like a mobile phone, our car tracker needs insert a SIM card to work. Please buy a SIM card that support 2G network and insert it to our tracker device. Then you can real-time track through SMS, APP and website on mobile phone, tablet or PC. In the US, We recommend: SpeedTalk/T-mobile.
- ✔【 Precise Positioning】: GPS+LBS dual mode positioning provides you peace of mind. If the GPS signal is good, the vehicle tracker will be positioned through the GPS satellite(the accuracy is 16ft-32ft/5-10m); otherwise, vehicle tracker will be positioned through the LBS(the accuracy is 100-1000 meters)!
- ✔【Anti Theft Functions】: Shake alarm | Geofencing | Overspeed alert | Historical playback. Whether it’s commercial fleet management or tracking the safety issues of the people you care about when they drive, our tkstar tracker is a perfect choice.
- ✔【Strong Magnetic and Easy to Install 】: Built-in 5pcs strong magnets, gps locator can easily attach the device to any iron surface, easy to install and hidden. IP67 waterproof, no need to worry on rainy days.
- ✔【Excellent and Faster Customer Service】: There may be some places on the product manual that are not clear enough, please feel free to contact us whenever you need help. We will respond within 12 hours!
5 Great Uses of a 3rd Generation Wireless Location Tracking System
GPS trackers are location-tracking devices that help you to keep track of your vehicles or valuable assets. They are inexpensive and easy to install, so it might seem like an easy decision. However, before you buy one, it is important to weigh the benefits against the downsides.
A GPS tracker is a device that can be installed onto any type of asset in order to monitor its geographic movements. This information can then be used for many purposes including security and tracking of valuable assets.
GPS trackers are often used by individuals who want to keep tabs on their car or other personal items but they are also frequently employed by businesses for various purposes including security monitoring and inventory management. For this article, we will be focusing on how GPS trackers can be used by businesses for tracking their valuable.
Some Disadvantages Using GPS Trackers
Although this may be true, there are some disadvantages to using GPS trackers. As previously stated, these devices can be expensive. Some may require subscription fees and monthly charges, which is another added cost.
Disadvantages of GPS trackers GPS devices use a satellite signal that is located above our planet. In order for the device to work, it has to be able to detect the signal, decode the data, and then make sense of the information.
GPS devices depend on four satellites to work, and there are a lot of things that could interfere with the signal, like buildings, trees, hills and mountains. So if you are driving through an urban area, or in a large city, then it might not be very easy to pinpoint the location of your car.
Also, some areas have lots of tall buildings and they may block out the signal from the satellites, especially at night. GPS devices don’t provide 100% accuracy. Some may show you a false location even when the device is working properly.
Why Having a Good GPS Tracker is Important?
Here are the five reasons why you should have a good GPS tracker for your daily life.
- GPS trackers are not as expensive as they used to be.
- They can be installed on a vehicle and still monitor the person who is driving it.
- They can also monitor where a person has gone, how long they were at that location, and what kind of activity they were doing at the location (i.e., if the person was outside for work or inside for personal use.)
- GPS trackers can also be used to monitor people’s movements after an accident or incident to find out where they may have been taken by an attacker or someone with bad intentions towards them.
- GPS trackers can be installed on children’s backpacks to ensure that the children are safe throughout their day and return home safely at night, even if there’s no.
There are a plethora of gps tracker for commercial vehicles out there. Make sure you do your research before making a purchase, and always ask yourself what you need the tracker for. Remember, your needs may change over time so it’s best to buy something that is more flexible than something with one specific use case.